Fall 2017 Weston Youth Services
WOW! After-School Programs
Weston Middle School (WMS)
Grades 6 thru 8
Weston’s One World After-School Programs
Weston Youth Services is pleased to offer WOW! After-School programs for students in 6th thru 8th Grade at Weston Middle School. Please note that enrollment is limited in order to keep class size small and classes will be filled on a first-come, first -served basis.
Online registration will open on Wednesday, September 6th at 10:01 p.m. If a program is full, you still may register and your child's name will automatically be placed on the wait-list (No payment is required at this time).If space does become available, you will be notified via email.
Please see each course listing for specific fees. ALL materials are included in class fee.
Financial Aid is available; please contact Charlene Chiang-Hillman, Director of Social Services, at 203-222-2663 if you would like to inquire about assistance.
- ALL payments must be made online; you will have the option to pay by Mastercard, Visa or E-Check online via our secure site.
- Full payment of program fees must be made within twenty-four (24) hours of registration. The system has been set up to automatically delete unpaid registrations after twenty-four (24) hours. When a registration has been deleted due to non-payment, a system-generated email will be sent stating:
"This is a notification that the registration for (registrants first name and last initial) has been deleted due to non-payment on (date and time that registration was deleted).”
Once a class begins, we do not issue refunds or credits. If you cancel your child’s registration prior to the start of a program, you will be charged a $25.00 administrative and processing fee.
Please refer to program details for class start and end dates.
- Given our unpredictable Weston weather, please make sure your student is aware of their alternate dismissal plan in the event of an unplanned after school activities cancelation.
- In the event of an early dismissal due to inclement weather or any other school emergency, all after-school programs will be canceled and the children will be sent home per school policy. In the event of a cancelation, we will send a reminder via email and also post this information on the Weston Youth Services website. If we are unable to contact you in the case of a last minute cancelation by an instructor, children will stay in the main office with the WOW! Supervisor until a parent arrives. We will make every effort to make up missed classes due to cancelations.
- There is no nurse on duty after normal school hours. In the event of illness or emergency treatment, we will call 911 and then contact parents, or the emergency contact if necessary. If your child has any special medical needs, please contact Charlene Monn prior to the start of the session.
- Weston Youth Services reserves the right to cancel a class due to lack of student enrollment.
- If a student is dismissed for disciplinary reasons or withdraws from the school or the program, the parent forfeits the entire program fee.
Please be prompt in picking up your child in front of the Weston Middle School building.
If you have any questions, please contact Charlene Monn, Weston Youth Services Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (203) 222-2586.
Yoga (6th thru 8th grade)
Maximum # of participants: 10 students
Fee: $ 96.00
Location: New Gym
Time: 2:30 p.m. -3:30 p.m.
Note: This is a 6-week class and runs on Wednesdays from September 27 thru November 1
Join Monzelle Schmiedeck as she encourages students to explore and discover the mind and body connection in a fun-filled way! Monzelle takes a creative approach to yoga that can be very helpful for studnets whose bodies are still developing. The use of animated poses and basic stretching exercises promote strength, flexibility, coordination and body awareness. Breathing and visualization techniques teach students how to focus, relax and develop self-control.
Note: Students should bring their own yoga mat each week to class.
Monzelle Schmiedeck has been a fitness and yoga instructor for over 15 years, beginning with pre-school and elementary school-aged children. She's taught for Kaia Yoga, after school programs in Fairfield and most recently has taught privately for Girl Scout troops and teens. Certified with Kripalu 200 RYT, Yin Yoga with Joe Barnett and Biff Mithoefer, Kids Yoga, Meditation training at the Nosara Yoga Institute and countless workshops, Monzelle has a full "toolbox" from which to choose from.
Sitter Safety Program (6th thru 8th grade)
There are four 5-week sessions to choose from:
Session I: Wednesdays, October 4, 2017 - November 8, 2017 (no class on November 1st)
Session II: Thursdays, January 4, 2018 - February 1, 2018
Session III: Wednesdays: February 28, 2018 - March 28, 2018
Session IV: Wednesdays: April 18, 2018 - May 16, 2018
Maximum # of participants: Each session is limited to 20 participants. First come-first serve...so register early! You may register for any of the sessions.
Fee: $ 75.00 (includes all course materials, final exam, and guest speakers).
Location: Weston Middle School, Room # F-5 (Health Room)
Time: Class runs from 2:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. Please pick up your child promptly in the front of Weston Middle School at 3:45 p.m.
Instructor: Julia Braden
Each course will cover the following:
American Heart Association (AHA) First Aid Certification along with Hands Only CPR
Infant and Toddler Child Care
Emergency Situations, including a visit from the Weston Police Department
Child Development and Behavior
Each session will include a visit from a member of the Weston Police Department, an EMT volunteer, and/or a child psychologist.
There are three requirements to pass the Sitter Safety Course in order to receive a certificate:
Completion of attendance at all 5 sessions (unless parents notify course instructor)
Completion of a written final exam.
Supervised baby-sitting In-Service Project with the return of completed questionnaires.